The IGI Airport has also been conferred with two more prestigious awards, namely, The Best Airport by Size & Region Asia Pacific (25 - 40 MPPA), second Best Airport by Region Asia Pacific. In 2011, the airport had achieved the position of world's number two, which it retained for three consecutive years till 2013. It was ranked by the Airports Council International(ACI) as number one this year.
A little insight into ACI :
- Established in 1991, located in Montreal, Canada.
- Airports Council International (ACI) is the only global trade representative of the world’s airports.
- ACI represents airports' interests with Governments and international organisations such as ICAO. It develops standards, policies and recommended practises for airports.
- Provides information and training opportunities to raise standards around the world.
Some achievements of the IGIA that stand-out are as follows:
1) IGI scored an impressive 4.96 on a scale of 1-5 in the ASQ (Airport Service Quality) survey.
2) Upgradation of shopping and food facilities along with sanitation provisions have been appreciated.
3) Increase in the number of frisking booths and boarding gates.
4) Flap gates introduced to improve convenience at boarding gates. Self check-in kiosks and self bag-drop units have been established.
IGIA has come very far from its rank at 101 to the number 1 airport in the world. Delhi International Airport Limited (DIAL), has brought in a lot of improvisation and development after it took over the management of IGIA ten years ago, in 2006. This achievement has definitely made the country proud. Congratulations to the entire IGIA team on its consistent performance.
Article by :- Evelyn Pope, student of videography and mass communications, St.Xavier's college, Kolkata.